Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Ex-Pat Playoff Experience

I am in the unfortunate situation of having to watch this year's Stanley Cup playoffs on American television. No Grapes, no Ron McLean, and, worst of all, no Bob Cole and Harry Neale (actually, worst of all is NO LEAFS. But we won't talk about that right now). I share Lost in Wisconsin's frustration with the quality of hockey commentary south of the border. Really, it's a wonder our American cousins keep coming back to this schlock. You'd think they'd demand better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, once again I get to enjoy my President's Cup-winning Red Wings while you poor, misguided, sad, sad Leaf fans continue to insist that the blue and white are actually capable of winning the Stanley Cup. Trust me, the recent firing of Pat Quinn will not help their fortunes, and neither will ridding themselves of Tie Domi, which is the much-talked-about possible next move of that other – far less popular – John Jr.
American hockey commentary ain't that bad, considering John Davidson actually had an NHL career at one time and Pierre McGuire is TSN's favourite colour guy. I wouldn't worry about missing too much on the CBC. Ron Maclean is getting really bloody irritating.

Anonymous said...

DALLAS

STARS!!

DALLAS

STARS!!

Hehehe ;P

Daphne Supergirl said...

Mademoiselle Andrea:
I've always thought your hostility towards the Leafs had a Shakespearean unnaturalness about it (filial ingratitude, Harold Ballard raving on the moors and whatnot). Maybe it's because you've been rubbing in the Red Wings play-off accomplishments to me ever since we used to sit in Shakespeare class together. At any rate, cease and desist, woman! When, oh when will you abandon these errant ways and return to your roots?

Monsieur David:
Sigh. I won't even go through the motions of cranking out my usual rant on why cities that DON'T HAVE WINTER should not have hockey teams.

Yes, I'm cranky. 2007 will be the Leafs' return to the Cup, yessiree. 40 years is a nice round number. It's really like they planned it this way.