Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"The Back Flip in the Long Program"

With the close of every Winter Olympics comes a difficult period of adjustment in which we must deal with the fact that we have become over-saturated with detailed knowledge about a wide variety of winter sports. It is not so much the over-saturation that is difficult, but rather the reality that the bulk of this knowledge is going to collect dust for another four years (by which time we will have, of course, forgotten it, and thus need to be saturated again--so perpetuating the cycle). In the spirit of milking our newfound, collective status as Winter Olympic Experts just a little longer, I thought I would dedicate this post to the explication of a beloved idiom that my friends and I developed a few years back while sitting in a pub and watching (what else?) an international figure skating competition. Here it is:

"back flip in the long program"

Origin: In women's figure skating, back flips are verboten. Not really sure why; if anyone has some insight into this, I'm curious. Quite possibly the issue is an aesthetic one. At any rate, if a female skater performs a back flip in international competition, she is disqualified. At one time, there was a French skater named Surya Bonali who always seemed to come up short in the medal department, but had a kick-ass back flip (bear with me here, the point is coming). I seem to recall that on the particular day my friends and I happened to be watching Bonali skate on television, she had a messy fall partway through her long program that would have put her out of medal contention. But she finished the program with a back flip and so was disqualified instead of having to face the indignity of placing fifth (or whatever it was).

Usage: "Back flip in the long program" can be used to describe any situation in which someone purposefully screws themselves over to avoid embarrassment/failure. It's like, you know you're going down anyway, so you compensate for your shortcomings by grabbing an alibi.

Painful personal example: Back in grade 8, I went to all the school dances, hoping that the boy I had a crush on would ask me to dance. But whenever the d.j. threw on a slow song (Stevie B.'s "Because I Love You (The Postman Song)"--aaahh! again, the parentheses!--still has some particularly bitter associations for me) , I wouldn't hang around the edges of the gym, waiting for the invitation to dance that I knew wasn't coming. Nosirree--I bolted out to the hall with my friends, where we made sarcastic comments about all the dorky people who were sentimental and sappy enough to actually dance to a slow song to begin with. A clear-cut case of back flip in the long program. Had I stayed in the gym, I, like Surya Bonali, would have only had to face my disappointment head-on. Better to disqualify one's self with flair.

So there you have it. I encourage you to go forth and use this turn of phrase whenever you believe it is apt. Just remember, if you actually pull too many back flips in the long program, you'll never make it to the podium. And yes, that can be construed as a sexual metaphor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I don't think it's just ladies figure skating that disqualifies competitors for doing a back flip in competition. Few men can do one, and even then, they will only do it during one of those terrible Stars On Ice tours. This is much like the "Head Banger" move in pairs skating (started, incidentally, by none other than Canadian greats Isabelle Brasseur and that rascally Lloyd Eisler), which a number of pairs can do but they're not allowed to do in competition. (It's a wonder of gravity where the male skater holds his female partner by her skate blades and spins around, making the female's head go close to the ice, then up away from it, then back down again, until he lets one blade go and she settles back onto the ice. Very scary.) Anyway, the back flip and the HeadBbanger are considered show pieces, and international figure skating bosses don't want them to become "required elements" a la the quad. Thus, the disqualification for doing one in competition.
Just a little FYI from a former Silver Blades Skating Club member. :)

Daphne Supergirl said...

Thank you for enlightening me on this matter! Re: the Brasseur/Eisler "Head Banger"...as you may know, Lloyd Eisler has the dubious distinction of being one of the contestants on the Fox show "Skating with Celebrities," as does my beloved Kurt Browning. Eisler is paired with Kristy Swanson, the erstwhile silver screen "Buffy". The pair attempted a rendition of the "head banger" on an episode that aired a couple of weeks ago and poor Kristy suffered a nasty gash to the chin when Eisler accidentally swung her a little too close to the ice. She finished the routine like a trooper, though. You've just got to watch where you swing your women out there, I suppose. Anyway, Browning is paired with Debbie (sorry, Deborah) "Lost in Your Eyes" Gibson. Needless to say, these folks probably should have quit while they were ahead. It was nice to see Todd Bridges doing his thing out there--my only disappointment was that no one called Tonya Harding to participate. Divas...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've been following the show (only what Access Hollywood has had to say about it, mind you). But I called Lloyd "rascally" because he has left his wife for Kristy Swanson!!!!! Mrs. Eisler is keeping the home fires burning in Bath, Ont., with two small kids, and Lloyd's taking his chances in La La Wood with an, at best, D-list celeb.
Once again, figure skating has united two lost souls looking for true love. Awwww.....