Monday, March 20, 2006

Operation "Give 'R"

Canadians and Americans do a lot of things differently. Football. Health care. Same-sex marriage. The pronunciation of "foyer." The list goes on. Being a Canadian, I tend to like our way of doing things better. Sometimes I think that I should use the time that I am spending living in the U.S. to help promote the "Canadian way." But where to start? Americans have been doing things their own way for a hell of a long time now, and they don't generally have a track record of being open to foreigners' suggestions for change. So I've decided to start small. All I'm asking is that Americans try substituting one simple Canadian phrase for its lower-grade American equivalent. This move can be represented with the following equation:

"Git 'Er Done" (U.S.) = "Give 'R" (CAN)

It's that easy.

Of course, I don't expect most Americans to be easily persuaded on this straight off the bat. So here's a few reasons why one should substitute "Give 'R" for "Git 'Er Done":

1. Fewer syllables.
2. Because of 1, can be compressed into a single word/grunt more easily.
3. Fits better on a t-shirt/tank top/gimme cap.
4. Sounds more like encouragement, less like a command (hence its essential Canadianness).
5. Scientifically proven to make your buddy push your truck out of the mud up to 10 times
faster when shouted repeatedly.
6. Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector is going to tank at the box office--why should your
cred go down with it?

Make the switch today! I guarantee you won't be disappointed. And just for being so open-minded to Canadian ways, I'll throw in another favourite Eastern Ontario phrase that can be used interchangeably with "Give 'R": "Kick 'R Down Hard!" (KHDH)

I don't expect a revolution overnight. But that's OK--if Americans have the patience for "trickle-down" economics, I'm sure I can wait a while for this. Just go on and give 'r, boys and let the Canadian invasion begin!

No comments: