Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The "Awww" Factor


As I've been residing stateside since the start of July, it's been a few weeks now since I last saw an episode of Canadian Idol. However, I've been keeping up with the results online and I'm happy to report that my favourite contestant in this year's competition, Tyler Lewis, is still burning it up in the Top 9.

Why do I think this kid should be the next Canadian Idol? First of all, he can sing. But more importantly, it's all about the "Awww" factor. Just check out these snippets from Tyler's brief bio on Idol's website and you'll see what I mean:

-He's 20 years old (Awww!)
-He's from Saskatchewan (Awww!)
-He would love to have the chance to see Bon Jovi or Guns 'n' Roses in concert (Awww! I guess that's pretty rare in rural Saskatchewan)
-His dream is to have a career like Bryan Adams (Awww!)
-He's a huge fan of both steak and potatoes and his belt buckle that sports a beer bottle opener (Awww! Cute and practical!)
-The song that best describes him? "Small Town, Big Dreams" (Awww!)

Plus, as I recall from the first episode on which Tyler appeared, he plays hockey and he can drive a tractor (Awww! and Awww!). If that's not a red-blooded Canadian boy, I don't know what is.

I realize that the "Awww" factor is not nearly as potent for the guys in the Canadian Idol audience (assuming there are any) as it is for the gals. However, if Don Cherry was a fan of the show (and hey, anything's possible), I'm certain he'd back Tyler all the way. This kid is the Dougie Gilmour of Idol crooning.

So my fellow countrymen and women, I exhort you to cast your votes for Tyler Lewis. It will put a feeling of gladness in your heart and you'll be doing Canada proud by selecting a talented Idol for its citizens. Plus, he's really really cute. Did I mention that already?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI...Just another guy who grew up in Saskatchewan (awwww)that wanted to say HI and thanks for your kind words about CFTR. You posted them back in April but I just came across them today...You made my day!


Cat Spencer
Mix 96 Montreal

Daphne Supergirl said...

Cat Spencer!

This is so exciting--my first ever celebrity comment! And from my most favourite-ever d.j. at that! I'm all a-flutter. It's fantastic to know you're still on the air in Montreal. I'll always have a fond spot in my heart for your show on 680 CFTR. Maybe you could send out a Stevie B. or Mr. Big dedication for me some day, for old time's sake.

:)